Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hand In Hair Syndrome (HIHS)

Hand in Hair Syndrome (HIHS) is simply constantly putting your hands in your hair. HIHS consists of constantly touching, playing, pulling, twirling, & twisting your hair. Many naturals are guilty of doing this. But HIHS can lead to damaged hair!!! Not only does HIHS causes frizzy hair, it can lead to bald spots, and your hair falling out!!! Furthermore, all the friction of manipulating the hair can cause breakage to our already delicate hair.
Many naturals such as myself can't keep our hands out of our hair. When my hair is soft and curly I like to twirl and twist my strands. This has become a very bad habit. I even do it subconsciously...when I'm bored, driving & even when I'm nervous.
How to stop? That's a good question. If you care about your hair simply stop it!!! If you find this difficult to do (like I do) there is hope. One way to refrain from HIHS is to wear protective styles, buns, wigs, flat twists
or any style that affixes the hair to your head like braids.

If you have HIHS, I hope this article helps you and give you hope to break this bad habit.






No comments:

Post a Comment